I can feel Fall in the air. There is nothing better than a nice warm bowl of soup. This Tex-Mex Chicken & Black Bean Soup Recipe if loaded with lots of veggies and chicken breast and black beans for your protein.
Tex-Mex Chicken and Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 40-45 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
Tex-Mex Seasoning Mix Ingredients:
- ¼ c. chili powder
- 2 T. ground cumin
- 2 t. ground coriander
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 2 t. smoked paprika
- 1 t. fine sea salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 large cloves garlic
- ½ medium white onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 14-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
- 1 15-oz. can black beans
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3½ c. chicken broth
- 1 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. sweet corn kernels
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large lime, cut into wedges
- To prepare the Tex-Mex seasoning mix, combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and stir to combine. Transfer to an airtight storage container and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- Add olive oil, garlic, onion, and red bell pepper to a large, high-sided skillet set over medium heat. Sprinkle two tablespoons of the Tex-Mex seasoning mix on top and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender and start to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, bay leaves, and chicken broth and stir to combine. Nestle the chicken breasts into the skillet so they are completely submerged in the liquid.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a rapid boil, then immediately reduce heat to just below medium. Cover skillet loosely with a lid and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with two forks.
- Stir in corn and fresh lime juice and simmer until heated through, approximately 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, and serve immediately topped with diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges for squeezing. Enjoy!
This recipe could be found here