These lightly sweetened biscuit-type gluten-free strawberry shortcakes are the perfect base for any type of fresh summer fruit, from strawberries (of course!) to peaches to blueberries.
The fact that they’re gluten-free makes them ideal for any crowd.
Easy Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook time: 10 mins
- Total time: 15 mins
- Serves: 8 to 10 shortcakes
- Author: King Arthur Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the cream and egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to form a cohesive dough.
- Scoop the dough in 1 1/2-ounce ball onto the baking sheet (a jumbo cookie scoop works well here); use the palm of your hand to gently flatten each to about 2″ to 2 1/2″ diameter.
- Brush the tops of the shortcakes with cream, and sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar.
- Bake the shortcakes for 10 to 12 minutes, until they’re risen and baked all the way through; break one open to make sure.
- Remove the shortcakes from the oven, split, and top with berries and whipped cream.
- Store, well-wrapped, at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.